WSEH Athletes win 1st round of England Athletics (EA) Virtual Road Relay Competition
A team of 8 WSEH AC men and women led the way in the 1st round of the EA Virtual Road Relay 8 x 5 mile competition, beating 127 other English club teams. The club took top spot in a combined time of 3:41.47.4, ahead of Cambridge & Coleridge AC, Wirral AC, Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers and Kent AC. The 8 WSEH athletes who took part were:
- Daniel Brookling (24:19)
- Sebastian Cirillo (25:34)
- Mark Vardy (25:46)
- Simon Millett (25:54)
- Jasmine Young (29:04)
- Sarah Chapman (29:56)
- Katie Clutterbuck (30:37)
- Alex Barbour (30:37)
At a time when traditional road relays aren’t possible due to COVID-19, England Athletics is hosting a virtual road relay running competition to give runners and clubs from across the country the chance to compete against each other. The competition, open to all England Athletics registered runners aged 15+ is raced over 40 miles in total and to record an overall finishing time, 8 runners from a club (4 men and 4 women) must run exactly 5 miles each.
The Virtual Road Relay Competition 2020/21 takes place over three rounds:
- Round 1: Qualifying Round (Saturday 26 December 2020 – Wednesday 13 January 2021). The 50 fastest clubs from this round have progressed to the National Round (Round 2) where they can again field an uncapped number of their registered runners – with overall finishing positions based on the 4 x fastest men and 4 x fastest women from each club. WSEH AC
- Round 2: National Round (Wednesday 10 February to Monday 15 February 2021). The overall winner will progress to the International Round (Round 3) – gaining the chance to pull on England kit and compete for the title against teams from the other Home Nations.
Any WSEH athletes who want to compete in round 2 will need to register for this round via OpenTrack . Runs for this round must take place between 00:01 on 10 February to 23:59 on 15 February and run data submitted by the deadline of midday on 16 February.
- Round 3: International Round (19 March 2021 – 22 March 2021). The winning club from the National Round will be selected to compete in the International Round, competing against the best teams from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales with the winning team crowned the Virtual Road Relay Competition 2020/21 champions! In this round, clubs must name their 8 runners (4 x men and 4 x women) in advance. The 8 runners must complete their runs from 00:01 on 19 March up to 23:59 on 22 March.
See results from Round 1 here.
Enter Round 2 here.
Further information on the competition is available here.